Friday, February 8, 2013

Radio Buzz

This morning Guy Spoonmore and I were guest with Jim Dewey on WTAD am 930.  He had us in the studio to talk about our upcoming bee class February 16th.  It's our annual spring kick off for beekeeping in the area.  We took a few calls while we were there, and we had several people visiting the website for more information.  As we talked bees, Jim asked several questions I thought I'd share with followers.

Why would someone keep bees?
I think it's an assumption, that anyone keeping bees might be a little off their rocker, but people do find lots of reasons to keep bees!  First, Honey is the most obvious.  I did not go into detail on the radio about why people would go to such lengths to get honey when they can just buy it in a store, at a farmer's market of online.  The answer is that not all honey is created equal.  Some is highly pasturized and loses it's health qualities, some is from out of state, and loses it's allergens, and some plain doesn't taste good.  The only way to ensure you're getting good quality honey is to buy local from a beekeeper or become a beekeeper.  I have leaned honey is like wine, there are lots of grades, and some is good, some is not .

How much time does it take to keep bees?
To keep 2 hives, as a beginner, you will end up working the hive about 15 hours, and if you harvest another 5 or 6 hours.  The thing about bees, is that when you're new, you find reasons to get into the bees and check them out.  You'll spend more time because you want to spend time.  When it's July and hot, you'll find other things to do.  But when it's a nice spring day, you'll wander to the bees and take a look.  It's fun!  You may only spend 10 mintues working the bees, and it may take you 3 minutes putting on the suit.  But overall keeping bees is not a time consuming hobby unless you want it to be.  Should you expand like many beekeepers do, you'll need to plan more time for your bees.

Where do bees come from? How do you get them?
I guess I had forgotten about this question until Jim asked.  We buy bees from other beekeepers.  We get them in these little box cages that are screened.  The package of bees is 3lb, which is determined to be a good starter hive size. about 1000 bees per pound.   Then you get a queen.  To keep bees you do not have to go hunt up a wild hive in the woods.  I would have never gotten started if I had to hunt bees.  Our club puts in a group order each spring for anyone expanding or replacing hives. 

Can people who don't want to tend the bees themselves still support beekeeping?
Sure!  Some farmers allow bees to be kept along their fields which give them better polliination, and gives the beekeeper a yard to rotate bees and be allowed to conduct hive splits.  Some people have beekeepers raise their bees for them for a share of the honey.  Kids raise bees for 4H projects and need fair support.  Of course, buying direct from a beekeeper helps them to manage the honey flow efficiently. 

What should people who are allergic to bees do when they get them at their house?
First, determine if you have 3 bees or 3000 bees.  If you have a settlement, you'll need help.  Don't grab the Raid, call the beekeepers association or local pest control.  You may only have a few bees that are attracted to a plant of sugar substance.  They won't hang around long, they also are not aggressive guard bees.  These are gathering bees, and are busy gathering.  Too busy to notice you unless you decide to intervene.  A small group of gatherers will travel up to 2 miles from their hive to nectar or pollen (or a piece of hard candy stuck to the sidewalk).  If you have a swarm, it's 1000's of bees looking for a new place to live.  Call us, don't try to handle a swarm on your own. We'll help them relocate to a hive someplace safe.

Why should people be thinking about getting bees in February?
We don't actually place bees into bee yards until April or May.  But it takes time to order hive parts, paint them up all cute, and find the perfect spot in your yard for a hive.  You'll need some time to read your new bee book and order your package.

Have you been stung?
Yes. and Yes.  I was stung pretty bad last year because I decided NOT to put on my bee shoes but wore flip flops out in the beehive area.  I was working inside the hive which usually riles them up anyway, and I got stung 6-8 times on my ankle.  I took 2 Benedryl, had a cold one and felt better in a couple hours.  This is not normal.  I've been stung 2 times, once with a wild hive we were relocating to my bee yard, and the aforementioned lazy summer day when I should have put my shoes on my feet.  I will not be so easy going this year!  I guarantee, bees can be dangerous, and I will never bee this guy!  By the way, when you see bee beards and this, they spray sugarwater on themselves so the bees will want the sugar.  They then eat up the sugar and their bellies are all full, they can't get their stinger raised up to properly sting.  Its kind of a bee trick.  But you will never see me doing this!


If you have more questions, you can email me anytime, I'd be happy to answer best I can.   LeAnn Moyers